Connecticon Forum

Favorite Thanksgiving Day Songs

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1038

Joined 2008-08-13

PM

Grant - 03 November 2009 12:17 PM

I’m almost certain this will be an unanswered thread since I really can’t think of any off the top of my head. Oh well, I got another three weeks or so to come up with some before its time for the Holiday song thread.

EDIT: There were some in grade school I had to sing that I can’t remember, so anyone with kids or who works with kids could probably do well here.

The closet thing I can think of that’s not some kiddie song is “Alice’s Restaurant” ... although it’s not really a “song” exactly and the narrative only starts with thanksgiving ... BUT I hear it played on the radio around thanksgiving every year.

Signature

Life is like a ride at an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it, you think it’s real, because that’s how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up/down and it has thrills/chills. And it’s fun, for a while. When you’ve been on the ride for a long time, you begin to question: ‘Is this real? Or is this just a ride?’ And other people come back to us and they say ‘Hey! Don’t worry, don’t be afraid - ever - because… this is just a ride.’

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2008-01-21

PM

Re: Favorite Thanksgiving Day Songs

[quote author=“Grant”]I’m almost certain this will be an unanswered thread since I really can’t think of any off the top of my head. Oh well, I got another three weeks or so to come up with some before its time for the Holiday song thread.

EDIT: There were some in grade school I had to sing that I can’t remember, so anyone with kids or who works with kids could probably do well here.

The closet thing I can think of that’s not some kiddie song is “Alice’s Restaurant” ... although it’s not really a “song” exactly and the narrative only starts with thanksgiving ... BUT I hear it played on the radio around thanksgiving every year.

Signature

<!—m—>http://www.michaeljmailledesigns.com/index.html<!—m—>
weaving metal into magnificence

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 116

Joined 2008-08-26

PM

[quote author=“Ulithig”][quote author=“creator of spam threads”]I’m almost certain this will be an unanswered thread since I really can’t think of any off the top of my head. Oh well, I got another three weeks or so to come up with some before its time for the Holiday song thread.

Alice’s Restaurant is a great song, if not more than a story. 99.1PLR tends to play it three times on Thanksgiving at 6am, 12pm, and 6pm. I can’t help listening to it all three times.

Signature

Connecticon 2009 Cosplays:
Hei -Darker than Black (Friday)
Matsumoto Rangiku -Bleach (Saturday/Sunday)

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-08-13

PM

1 song! That’s one more than I thought anyone would come up with. I’m just going to cheat and go with the soundtrack from Pochahontas.

Signature

Life is like a ride at an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it, you think it’s real, because that’s how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up/down and it has thrills/chills. And it’s fun, for a while. When you’ve been on the ride for a long time, you begin to question: ‘Is this real? Or is this just a ride?’ And other people come back to us and they say ‘Hey! Don’t worry, don’t be afraid - ever - because… this is just a ride.’

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2008-01-21

PM

Well if you’re going to cheat then I’ll put forth some songs from the Native American’s point of view

It’s The End Of The World As We Know It - By REM
Let’s See How Far We’ve Come - By Matchbox 20
.. And those are just the first songs that popped into my head!

Signature

<!—m—>http://www.michaeljmailledesigns.com/index.html<!—m—>
weaving metal into magnificence

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-08-13

PM

Ulithig - 09 November 2009 03:54 AM

Well if you’re going to cheat then I’ll put forth some songs from the Native American’s point of view

It’s The End Of The World As We Know It - By REM
Let’s See How Far We’ve Come - By Matchbox 20
.. And those are just the first songs that popped into my head!

Excellent! Then I choose the music in here…...

<!—m—>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ozVMxzNAA<!—m—>

Nothing says Thanksgiving like an Irishman in red face. XD

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 185

Joined 2008-06-19

PM

Here’s one you probably learned or heard in school:

Turkey in the Straw

And I had to think a while to come up with that.

Signature

The game’s the thing.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-08-13

PM

Mike C. - 24 November 2009 10:28 PM

Here’s one you probably learned or heard in school:

Turkey in the Straw

And I had to think a while to come up with that.

Actually, I think my parents have footage of me singing that in Kindergarten. Too bad its on VHS right now and I don’t have anything to convert it with or I’d put it up here.

Signature

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2008-09-20

PM

...you know, you’d think that because I’m going to be a teacher and work with preschoolers and kindergarteners, I’d know some children’s Thanksgiving songs…but I don’t think I do. XD I better brush up on my children’s songs….

Anyway, the only Thanksgiving song I can think of is this one by Adam Sandler:

<!—m—>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z27FKwupds<!—m—>

Signature

2013: Spa!Flynn Scifo, Trish (Devil May Cry), Leila (Fire Emblem 7), Garry (Ib)
2012:Tabatha (Tales of Symphonia), Guy Cecil, Yuki Judai
2011: Guy Cecil, Kira Izuru
2010: Kira Izuru, Orphan!Tenma, Count D
2009: Tsuzuki Asato, Kira Izuru, Sakuraiji Ukyou

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 779

Joined 2008-08-27

PM

I learned a turkey color song to go with a lesson I did last year. This is a variation:

(to the tune of “Did you ever see a lassie”) <“hail to the bus driver” is more common I think.
Did you ever see a turkey, a turkey, a turkey
As he struts around the farmyard with feathers so bright?

With red ones and brown ones and yellow ones and orange ones,
Did you ever see a turkey with feathers so bright?

If you look up turkey day songs, a lot come up. Some are cute.

(to the tune of Are you sleeping)
Thanksgiving, thanksgiving
Time is here, time is here
Turkey’s on the table,
Turkey’s on the table,
Yum, yum, yum
Yum, yum, yum

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2008-08-13

PM

[quote author=“Song of a Phoenix”]...you know, you’d think that because I’m going to be a teacher and work with preschoolers and kindergarteners, I’d know some children’s Thanksgiving songs…but I don’t think I do. XD I better brush up on my children’s songs….

Anyway, the only Thanksgiving song I can think of is this one by Adam Sandler:

<!—m—>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z27FKwupds<!—m—>

Can’t beat the classics!

[quote author=“Skydancer”]I learned a turkey color song to go with a lesson I did last year. This is a variation:

(to the tune of “Did you ever see a lassie”) <“hail to the bus driver” is more common I think.
Did you ever see a turkey, a turkey, a turkey
As he struts around the farmyard with feathers so bright?

With red ones and brown ones and yellow ones and orange ones,
Did you ever see a turkey with feathers so bright?

If you look up turkey day songs, a lot come up. Some are cute.

(to the tune of Are you sleeping)
Thanksgiving, thanksgiving
Time is here, time is here
Turkey’s on the table,
Turkey’s on the table,
Yum, yum, yum
Yum, yum, yum

That also seems oddly familiar to me for some reason. I want to say I sang it one time in 1st grade but if I did it was only for one day and not for a school show or anything like that.

Signature

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 185

Joined 2008-06-19

PM

Reviving this thread in case anyone can come up with something new.

Signature

The game’s the thing.