Connecticon Forum

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2009-07-22

PM

Gerry here (big and bald, shiny blue Dark Angels successor army).  I couldn’t find a specific feedback forum, so I’m starting a feedback thread. 

First of all, I’d like to say that I immensely enjoyed the opportunity to have such an extravaganza of 40K over the weekend!  I’d like to thank everyone involved for their work in putting it together.  Tabletop-wise, this past Connecticon has been the most satisfying ever!  I’ve never before seen so much tabletop gaming at the con.  Good job, guys!

I was asked what would make next year’s con more fun.  The first thing I thought of was to give the league some kind of narrative.  Have some 500pt additional forces that will be provided to pairs of players in a semi-random fashion, a couple of “antagonist” add-ons from Codex: Daemonhunters and a couple of “protagonist” add-ons from Codex: Witch Hunters.  I’m thinking groups of something like this:

Inquisitor Lord McNasty (working names obviously)
shooty retinue
3 Daemonhosts

Inquisitor McLacky
burny retinue with Rhino
2 squads of Inquisitorial Stormtroopers with Chimeras (I’d use the updated rules and prices from Codex: Imperial Guard for them, though)

Inquisitor Lord DoGood
fighty retinue
Arco-flagellants and/or Sisters Repentia

Inquisitor DoRight
shooty retinue with Rhino
Battle Sisters Squad with Rhino
Seraphim Squad

Obviously, what you’d do is give opposing add-ons to players who are facing each other, so you have the Witch Hunters Inquisitors chasing the Daemonhunters Inquisitors all throughout the con.  You’d try and give every player the chance to use at least one of the add-ons once through the weekend.  Maybe at the end, you run a 2-v-2 battle with all the Inquisitoral stuff on the table, each chunk controlled by one of the players.  Based on this past weekend, there’d be plenty of time for such a game on Sunday.

Rank

Joined 2009-07-22

PM

Re: Feedback: 40K League and Saturday tournament

Regarding some specifics from this past weekend:

1: The concentration on kill points was a little rough for me.  The list I was playing offers up a fair few easy KPs.  In the future, I’d like to see either more objective-based missions, or use Victory Points.  With only one notable exception, I think everyone who participated this past weekend would have been fine with Victory Points.

2: The Assassination mission needs a rethink.  It basically made every infantry unit worth 3KPs and really inflated the scores of the players who won that mission.  Clay got 20KP against me, and Noah said he got 21KP from that one.

3: The Night Fight mission was AWESOME!  I got to actually use the searchlights on my vehicles to good effect for once.  That was a lot of fun.

4: I like how there was plenty of time between the League games, so participating in the league was non-stressful and gave everyone plenty of time between games to do other things.  Of course, I wound up playing MORE 40K between league games.  Although, a little more of a cushion between the 2nd league game on Saturday and the 1500pt tournament would have been good.  Armando and I called our game after the end of the 5th turn because Hsu was waiting for us to start the tourney.

Rank

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2009-07-04

PM

Brendan Here,
This weekend was great.  Lots of fun games, and some interesting missions.
My thoughts…
1.) I agree on the all KP missions being tough for many armies.  If you don’t want to run the standard missions of objective based, maybe either attacker defender or Victory points as Gerry mentioned would be good.

2.) Also agree on the assassination mission not really being balanced as units were 3 KP and it is difficult for some people to differentiate models if there is not a specific squad leader, maybe something more like the Head hunter ard boyz mission would have worked here (HQs are 3 kp, troops are 1 other force org slots are 2) but nothing is perfect.

3.) I was not as happy with night fight, but not unhappy, just really bad rolling on my part.  I enjoyed using the night fight rule for once Dawn of war having night fight for 1 turn is kind of pointless.

4.)I agree on having time between games it was nice to catch a break. 

5.) I would have liked to see more balanced terrain between the tables, some had a lot of terrain and some had little to none, though I have heard that better tables are in the works for next year.

6.) I would like to see people not drop out, nothing can be done here really, but if someone enters the league I guess try to stress the importance of showing up for games and if they think they might not then perhaps they should not enter.  Thankfully everyone played a game on the final day, but someone could easily have been out of luck.

Anyway, it was great fun and I am looking foreward to next year.

Signature

Director of Miniatures Gaming

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 316

Joined 2007-02-25

PM

Noted and will be added on guys (This is Jim if you haven’t guessed).
Keep the good and the bad coming.

Signature

Jim Searle
Former ConnectiCon Vice President and Staff member from 2004-2012.

Rank

Joined 2009-07-22

PM

I don’t think you can entirely prevent people from dropping out of the league, but having a strong narrative element would give people an additional incentive to stay in, to see what happens at the end and to get a chance to use one of the Inquisitorial add-ons. 

Also, does anyone remember way back when GW first introduced the Eye of Terror campaign the series of battle reports White Dwarf ran?  They had a big 2-v-2 battle with a series of other battles going on.  The smaller battles were fighting over what we’d now consider to be strategic assets (the one that sticks in my head being an attack run with a Thunderhawk gunship) that the winner of the battle could then contribute to his “side” in the main fight.  Having something like that for Sunday might keep people in the whole way through.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 316

Joined 2007-02-25

PM

Could be done, also lets just say that the workings for next year are already going into effect.

Signature

Jim Searle
Former ConnectiCon Vice President and Staff member from 2004-2012.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-08-05

PM

Howdy everyone, Aaron here “the Orks player” as if the name was not obvious enough.

I’ve been thinking for the past few days about anything that happened to the Wargaming that I would like to see changed, These are all ideas and changes that I would like to see made but Some of them are a little extreme. None of it should be taken at heart because I think the Wargaming was fantastic with the way it was. These are just changes that are ideas that may or may not be easily used to possibly enhance the Wargaming at Connecticon 2010

1st, I think the wargaming needs a little more coverage, I know Connecticon is not and will never be a Wargaming convention like Adepticon. I’m not asking for that because I like webcomics and other stuff too. But more coverage of the wargaming would be a nice thing, maybe more updates on the main page and possibly updates in the specific sections on the main page. So many people said “Awww I didnt know there was going to Be Warhammer here or else I would’ve brought my army!” and With a little more coverage and maybe a mention or two in the newsletter there may have been a few more players there.

2nd I know it was already talked about for next year that there may be some Planetstrike missions coming to Connecticon and that excites me. New playstyles are always fun and some awareness in advance to bring multiple army lists for special missions like Planetstrike would be wonderful. Another expansion that would’ve been nice is Apoc. Now i’m not demanding that there be Apoc matches because theres no possible way to know if people are going to have / bring the larger scale armies to put out with.

3rd A friend and I talked about it and we think it might help if there could be a possibility to squeeze in a Wargaming panel maybe a painting tips or Conversions or even just a round table for people to get together can chat about it. Another idea would be to get a GW rep to host a panel The corporate headquarters is in MD and I’m not stating that they’d jump at the chance to come do a panel but its just an Idea to generate intrigue in the tabletop gaming events.

4th, Preregistration, I know its hard to do especially with some people traveling from states further out but maybe a Paypal link or something some form of preregistration, I’m not saying cut off people who cant preregister but if you can get some people to preregister then you can gear everything to that number of people with a buffer that you can expand to if more people show.

5th, I know this goes with the first one but expanding awareness is a great thing, I know Sarge’s comics did prize support for this year and maybe when we get closer to the Convention next year there can be something with them set up where they advertise the convention’s wargaming. Personally never having of been to Sarge’s if its anything like my local gaming store just putting up posters or handing out flyers can spur a lot of attention in the right needed direction, That and I know that the major wargaming boards I usually post on will be getting a thread when the convention next year starts coming around, also getting any local gaming groups or multiple Hobby shops involved might help.

6th More missions, Some of this has been addressed and I know its not the most important thing ever but More missions would be great, Objectives Capture control and Killpoints are all fun and I love the creativity of some of the missions but there could be more variety, a suggestion being that theres on objective mid field that only Infantry Troops can capture, after capturing it they have to run it off the opponents side of the board. But they have to manually run it, no Transports or jump packs, Thats something thats a mix between one of the Planetstrike missions with a little extra flare on it.

Thats really all i can think of for now, I’ll be coming back and posting more as I see fit and just like I said earlier none of these are mandatory changes but I loved the fact that Wargaming had its biggest year at Connecticon this year and I’d love to see it be even bigger next year. I’m live in Rochester New york and the chance to travel out of state to play my hobby with people whom I’ve never met before is really awesome and if theres anything I could personally do to help feel free to ask.

If your still alive and awake after that congratulate yourself as well.

Signature

Sooo….. Does that mean his new name is Squiglial?