POP-OFF! LIVE DANCE COMPETITION
BRAND NEW! Show us your dance moves and win the crown!
2019 Event Coordinator: Sarah Kerrigan (Kerrigan.S@connecticon.org)
Do you know the dance moves to BTS? Aquors? BabyMetal? 2NE1? You’ve practiced as hard as them, shed blood, sweat, and tears, all to perfect your swagger. Time to show off all your hard work and compete to win #1!
How it Works: Welcome to the BRAND NEW ConnectiCon event Pop-Off!, where you get to perform LIVE for a room full of cheering fans and a select group of judges will rate your technical skill, style, and execution in two divisions: J-Pop/K-Pop and Idol. Win the hearts of the fans and win the fan favorite award! This will be our most up-beat event of the convention you don’t want to miss it!
IMPORTANT: Cosplay Event Rules and Regulations are posted on the Cosplay Events main page. If you have not already, review these BEFORE you apply to any ConnectiCon events. There may be something that is run differently at this convention than others you have attended.
- POP-OFF! DANCE COMPETITION RULES & GUIDELINES
- All members of your performance group must be registered convention attendees to perform.
- Contestants must be at least 13 years old.
- No professional dancers* may enter the Pop-Off competition. If an individual is found to be a professional, their entire group will be disqualified. *A “professional dancer” is an individual who performs dance for monetary compensation as their primary source of income.
- Divisions: Pop-Off! is split into two competition Divisions: Idol and J-Pop/K-Pop.
- Idol: This division is for groups that perform choreography in costume from dances based on idol anime or other dances with an anime origin. Examples: μ’s, Aquors, AKB0048, Uta no Prince-Sama, Idolm@ster
- J-Pop/K-Pop: This division is for groups that perform choreography from published performances or music videos that originate from real-life J-Pop or K-Pop musical artists. Examples: EXO, BTS, 2NE1, SNSD, Morning Musume, SMAP, BLACKPINK, Super Junior, SHINee, Arashi, AKB48, MOMOLAND
- All applicants will need to identify the source material for their performance and what song they intend to perform as part of the competition application. Edits combining two or more dances and songs may be considered on a case by case basis; please email the Event Coordinator.
- Performances are limited to 5 minutes maximum at length. Please include your music cue in your application (if applicable).
- All applicants will be expected to provide a link to a demo video of their performance group doing a choreographed dance as part of the application process. The demo video needs to be at least 30 seconds long but it does not need to be in costume or of the song submitted for the competition. Many websites offer video hosting services, please contact the Event Coordinator if you require guidance on where to post a video. Please ensure that this video is publicly available so the Event Coordinator can access it.
- All applicants must email a picture of their group in performance attire to CosplayEventPhotos@connecticon.org as part of their application. If there is a social media outlet you would like linked along with the photo please provide this as well. Please keep the photo in .jpg file format only and have it available on a CD or Flash Drive at check-in as backup.
- All groups will perform one dance within their division and a panel of three professional judges will rate the performance on five criteria within three categories:
- Technical Skill: Movement, flow/musicality, rhythm/step work, transitions, synchronicity.
- Style: Poise, aesthetics, facial expressions, energy, showmanship.
- Execution: Crowd appeal, use of stage, group dynamics, degree of difficulty, overall group impact.
- There will be a Best Of award for each category and division, and a Fan Favorite award voted on live by the attendees.
- Please arrive at the requested set-up time to receive event-specific rules and instructions. Make sure you listen to the directions given by the staff during this time, as well as during the event. If you do not follow the rules set up by the Event Coordinator and staff, you will not be allowed to participate in future events.
- The number of people allowed on stage at any given time is 9. This is for your safety as the stage is not large enough to accommodate more than 9 people.
- You must enter and exit the stage using the areas designated by the event staff. No jumping onto or off of the stage is allowed. Failure to follow these rules will result in disqualification.
CHECK-IN & AUDIO REQUIREMENTS
- Once participants arrive at the convention, all applicants must check in at Cosplay HQ before the deadline to be able to perform. Anyone who is unable to check in before the deadline must contact the Event Coordinator before the deadline passes.
- All applicants will be asked to provide a professional photo of their dance group upon check in for use in promotions and voting. If you submitted a photo previously to CosplayEventPhotos@connecticon.org please let Cosplay HQ know. If there is a social media outlet you would like linked along with the photo please provide this as well. Please keep the photo in .jpg file format only and have it available on a CD or Flash Drive.
- At check-in you must provide a CD or Flash Drive with a digital copy of your performance song. Please use .mp3 file format only. If you submitted your audio previously to CosplayEventPhotos@connecticon.org please let Cosplay HQ know when you check in. Audio will NOT be accepted at the event start, it must be submitted through Cosplay HQ upon check in.
- There will be no live microphones onstage. All audio must be pre-recorded.
- There will be a block of time set aside for performers to walk the stage and run your number. If you cannot make the allocated practice time, you will not be able to walk the stage before the performance.
- Please pick up any flash drives/CDs at the tech desk after the event or on Sunday.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY FOR POP-OFF! LIVE DANCE COMPETITION